Careers/Director or VP of Engineering (San Francisco)
All positions are located in our San Francisco office unless otherwise noted.
Engineering & Operations
- PHP Engineer
- Full Stack Engineer
- Senior Data Engineer
- Director of Data Engineering
- Android Developer
- iOS Developer
- Lead Engineer, Japan Internationalization
- Community Support Manager
- Community Development Associate, French
- Community Development Associate, Russian
To see job openings in Poznan Office visit our career page: http://kariera.wikia.com/
Like our wikis and communities, Wikia is passionate, high-energy and collaborative. You’ll have the opportunity to shape company, technology and product directions.
We offer the opportunity to have an impact on an exciting product used by tens of millions of people while working with a fun, multicultural team.
You will manage the San Francisco Engineering team reporting to the SVP of Engineering and Operations. The team is approximately 12 now and will grow approximately 50% this year. This is a senior leadership position, requiring superior communication skills and an always positive attitude.
You will partner closely with the VP of Engineering of our Polish Engineering team, Product Management and the Executive Staff.
- Lead and mentor our growing engineering team
- Build processes and practices that enable us to scale, execute on time, and maintain creativity and excitement within the team.
- Build and maintain relationships with partners in the rest of Wikia.
You will likely travel to our European office 2-4 times/year.
Desired Skills & Experience
You must be technical and hands-on enough to contribute to the technical direction and leadership of the company. Recent hands-on development experience is preferred. Coding is not a significant part of this role but you should be willing and able to pitch in if needed.
- 7+ years of total software engineering experience, 3+ in Web-based environments
- 4+ years of engineering management experience, some of which must be managing managers (Director or VP level)
- Excellent communications skills (every job lists this; for us it’s the one thing you cannot do without)
- Experience developing and supporting high-availability (99.95%) systems
- LAMP stack development and operation
- Experience implementing and executing Agile development practices
- Experience with large scale web sites – 1mm-100mm page views / day.
- Experience in a Linux environment
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related field.
We don’t expect you to have all of the following, but the more the better:
- Experience with DevOps practices.
- Global software development experience. Our Poland engineering team is an inseparable part of Wikia engineering.
- User-generated content and the communities that produce it
- Experience using and contributing to Open Source projects in general. Experience with MediaWiki or other wiki or user-generated content platforms is a plus.
Benefits & Perks
Wikia offers a competitive salary package including stock options, health benefits (medical and dental), PTO, and a 401K. Our San Francisco office is located within walking distance to South Park, AT&T Stadium, and the CalTrain station, and is only blocks away from Market Street and BART. Our dog-friendly digs also come with a stocked pantry and gaming room, where some employees practice yoga at lunch.
How to Apply
Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and include "Director or VP of Engineering" in the subject line.
Principals only. Agency and recruiter resumes will be considered unsolicited resumes that are not subject to placement fees.
Wikia is a collaborative publishing platform that enables communities to discover, create, and share content on any topic in any language. Community-created wikis cover everything from the latest games, anime, music and TV shows to eco-friendly living and the world's best chocolate chip recipes.
With over 400,000 enthusiast communities attracting more than 145 million global unique visitors each month, Wikia is the largest user-generated media company and is a Top 25 site, according to Quantcast. Wikia was founded in 2004 by Jimmy Wales and Angela Beesley, and is headquartered in a brightly colored SOMA office in San Francisco, CA.
Want to know more about the company? Read the full Wikia Story.